Thursday, January 27, 2011

When Did It Happen



I've turned into a mom and I'm trying to figure out when it happened. I mean when did my conversation start off with yup she hasn't pooped in three days, can you believe she ate or I wonder what she ate because its a strange color. When did going to lunch with friend consist of McDonald's and we talk\compare labor stories (Who was the longest?Shortest? Drugs or No drugs.) Comparing kids and there abilities (Mine walked at 1 year or mine was talking in full sentences at a 2.)Or my personal favorite your kids look nothing like you. TRUST me I was there I have the stretch marks prove it.
What happened to never leaving the house for a week because the kids are sick and getting excited to leave for 10 mins to Walgreen for medicine for sick kids just to get out of the house and than sitting in the car outside of the house loving the silence. Wearing the same shirt for three days and never once realizing it until it got up walked in the laundry and scream "WASH ME PLEASE." Laying down next to a sick kids and having him\her sneeze or cough all over you and thinking I need to get the dishes put away.
When did going to the bathroom become a spectator sport? With the conversation starting with "Mom why do you sit down and pee? Or can I sit on your lap?" Why didn't some one warn me that bedtime doesn't mean sleep it just means you get to rest your eyes before someone wakes up wanting mom to cuddle, needing Fresh Water, needing to pee and say "look at all the pee in the toilet", screaming wipe my nose or needing a diaper change.
What happened to those days of date nights spending hours to get ready talking about work, dislikes and looking into each others eyes for hours turned into enjoying the quite drive to dinner the quite dinner and trying not to fall asleep though a movie. Only wondering did I even take a shower today? YES!!!

Becoming a mom seemed to have happened over night and than looking at my three beautiful children and realizing it happened 4 years ago with the birth of my sweet Martin. I wouldn't change being a mom but I am going to start locking the door when I need to go to the bathroom and taking showers a little more often.


The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together. ~Erma Bombeck





I don't care how poor a man is; if he has family, he's rich. ~Dan Wilcox and Thad Mumford, "Identity Crisis," M*A*S*H

2 comments:

  1. I hear you....except Dan and I don't even go on dates. I am here 24/7 unless I am grocery shopping. Oh wait I do that with kids too! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be honest if I go grocery shopping I go at night around 8pm after everyone is in bed. As for dates when we got married we made a promise that we would have a date night every week. Sometimes its just us popping popcorn and watching a red box movie or we go out for an hour driving around.

    ReplyDelete